Career Opportunity at StoryCorps, an Arts/Media Nonprofit: Coordinator, Print & Animation
StoryCorps is an independent nonprofit whose mission is to provide Americans of all backgrounds and beliefs with the opportunity to record, share, and preserve the stories of our lives. Founded in 2003 by radio documentary producer and MacArthur Fellow Dave Isay, StoryCorps has recorded and archived over 40,000 interviews from more than 70,000 participants. Each conversation is recorded on a free CD to share, and is preserved at the American Folklife Center at the Library of Congress.
StoryCorps is one of the largest oral history projects of its kind. We have visited all 50 states, partnered with hundreds of community organizations across the country, and earned two Peabody Awards (including a rare Institutional Peabody Award), the highest honor in broadcast journalism. Millions listen to our weekly broadcasts on NPR’s Morning Edition, our weekly podcasts on iTunes, and the stories posted on the Listen pages of our website. Our animations have been featured on PBS’s flagship documentary series POV and the YouTube homepage and were nominated for an Emmy. Our three books, Listening Is an Act of Love: A Celebration of American Life from the StoryCorps Project, Mom: A Celebration of Mothers from StoryCorps, and All There Is: Love Stories from StoryCorps, were New York Times Bestsellers.
In the coming years, we hope to build StoryCorps into an enduring institution that will touch the lives of every American family. To learn more about our services, produced works, and special initiatives, and to listen to participant stories, visit www.storycorps.org.
Job Title: Coordinator, Print & Animation
Department: Print & Animation
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Reports To: Senior Coordinator, Print & Animation
Status: Part-Time, Regular, Non-Exempt
The Coordinator, Print & Animation provides administrative and project support to StoryCorps’ Print & Animation department. The Print & Animation department is responsible for production of StoryCorps’ animated shorts and books. This position will assist the Senior Coordinator with tracking project schedules and budgets, preparation and distribution of internal reports, film festival submission and coordination, and other administrative tasks and activities. There may be opportunities to assist with manuscript editing and editorial work around the animations.
StoryCorps is committed to recording, preserving, and sharing stories from a wide range of American voices – from our Griot Initiative, a program dedicated to recording the stories of African Americans to our Historias Initiative, a program dedicated to recording the stories of Latinos. Candidates with work experience in diverse communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
The Coordinator, Print & Animation is a 25 hours per week position and reports to the Senior Coordinator, Print & Animation.
Excellent benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, Flexible Spending Account, 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan, Employee Assistance Plan, and TransitCheks; also includes paid time off (vacation, sick leave, personal days, and holidays).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide general administrative support to the Print & Animation department
- Track and administer production of book manuscripts for publication
- Track animation production schedule to ensure adherence to deadlines and on-time delivery
- Process invoices and track budgets for both print and animation work
- Liaise with freelancers and StoryCorps staff for project tracking
- Liaise with film festivals and track animation submissions
- Compile necessary information to report accurately and timely on book and animation projects
- Perform other duties to support the Print & Animation Department as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Qualifications:
- BA/BS or equivalent work experience
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, online databases, and web-based email
- Solid organization skills, multi-tasking ability and attention to detail
- Excellent writing and communication skills, as well as solid editorial and research abilities
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively in a deadline-driven environment
- Strong collaborative and teamwork skills, as well as the ability to work independently
- Cultural competence and the ability to work successfully with diverse groups of people
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable in order to contribute to problem solving activities within a growing, changing organization.
- Background in editorial or media production environment
- Experience working within diverse communities.
To apply, please send cover letter and resume email@example.com and include your last name and “Coordinator, Print & Animation” in the subject line. Include your cover letter and resume as attachments entitled “YourNameLetter” and “YourNameResume.” In your cover letter, please tell us how you found out about this opportunity and whether you have applied for a position at StoryCorps in the past. The position will remain open until filled; please apply early. No calls please.