Media Studies Freelance Student Videographer Needed
Media Studies Freelance Student Videographer
Freelance Videographer(s) needed for Event and Public Program videography at The New School. The Communications and External Affairs (CEA) department is currently accepting student resumes and reels for consideration in the production of Public Programming videos for The New School. These are paid opportunities for freelance videographers interested in developing professional skills, and building relationships with event planners and public program coordinators throughout the university. The pay range is to be determined between the event planner and the freelance student videographer. CEA will provide guidance and support for the right candidates.
The New School is known for hosting compelling educational public programs. Past speakers have included, documentary filmmaker Michael Moore, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, and Nobel Prize Winner Joseph Stiglitz. The establishment of a social media strategy for the University allows for more programs to be filmed and shared via Youtube and Facebook. As a result, the Communications and External Affairs department is looking to increase its roster of videographers by tapping Media Studies students. This is a professional development opportunity for Media Studies students who are looking to expand their video portfolio by working with real clients and add valuable experience to their resumes.
Student videographers will coordinate with the Special Projects Manager, Ryan Blum-Kryzstal, to film events and public programs occurring on campus. Ideal candidates will have access to their own equipment, be versed in video productions and editing and be able to deliver digital assets to the Communications and External Affairs office in a professional and timely manner. Stronger candidates will be considered for additional video projects as they arise.
To see examples of Public Programming at The New School visit The New School’s YouTube channel at
Students interested in this position must have access to their own equipment including:
- Long Duration HD video, NON- DSLR camera (shooting a minimum of 720p)
- Video Storage via Compact Flash, Solid State or SD Cards (HDV will be considered if applicant has access to the proper equipment to manage this workflow.)
- Access to video editing software such as Final Cut Pro or Avid
- External Hard Drive of 500GB or greater
- A solid foundation in videography, including a working knowledge of digital media management
- Strong post-production, editing, sound, and lighting skills
- Reliable time-management skills, communication, able to quickly turn around and deliver quality digital assets
- At least 1 year of relevant experience as a videographer
How to apply
Interested students should send resumes to Ryan Blum-Kryzstal, Special Projects Manager at The New School’s Communications and External Affairs Department (CEA) at email@example.com with the subject “Media Students for Event/Public Programs”. Please include a link to your reel or relevant work as well as a PDF of your resume. Please do not submit microsoft word documents, or attach video files to any correspondence. Please, no cold calls.