Theoria and Praxis: Call for Submissions
Theoria and Praxis: International Journal of Interdisciplinary Thought
Call for Submissions
interdisciplinary journal dedicated to exploring the linkages between theory
and practice, and facilitating cross-communication between philosophy and the
social sciences. Theoria and Praxis will broaden the academic dialogue by
bringing together alternative theoretical frameworks and diverse disciplines
ranging from philosophy, sociology, the humanities, literary and cultural
studies to political science, anthropology, economics, and history.
The inaugural edition, tentatively due for release in early June 2013, will be
focused on critically analyzing: the political. The “political” is, of course,
open to quite a wide range of possible philosophic interpretations, and it has
been historically connected to a whole spectrum of social practices. As such,
we encourage the intellectual interrogation of this concept, and of its
implications, from a variety of paradigms and perspectives. The theme for our
inaugural issue may very well prompt any number of corollary questions such as,
but not limited to, the following:
* What is ‘the political’? Or, for that matter, what constitutes the
non-political, the un-political, and the anti-political?
* Who is included, and who is excluded, from this realm of ‘the political’?
* What is the distinction between antiquity and modernity in European
* Is ‘the political’ about a basic logic of how and in what manner
societies essentially organize themselves?
* How is ‘the political’ related to the historical, the economic, and the
cultural dimensions of everyday life?
* Are ethical principles even applicable to the ostensibly amoral realm of
‘the political’— as thinkers from Machiavelli to Morgenthau have contended?
* How do Hobbes, Locke, and Rousseau, or, for that matter, Marx, Schmitt,
and Arendt, define the limits of ‘the political’?
* And how do emerging fields such as eco-politics and bio-politics effect
and transform our contemporary notions of what is, and what is not,
* Finally, can one not speculate, in a postmodern age and globalized world,
whether or not the very concept of ‘the political’ is antiquated and altogether
Neither are submissions, by any means, to be confined to these questions alone.
In fact, we will gladly and seriously consider all papers that we receive.
Manuscripts shall be subject to a double-blind reading, ensuring the integrity
of the peer-review process. All submissions should be between 6,000 and 12,000
words, and include abstracts of no more than 200 words (in Microsoft Word file
We welcome those interested to please submit their papers and proposals, and all
relevant inquiries, to Theoria and Praxis at: email@example.com.
Also, visit us at: