Research Associate at the Exploratorium
There is a part time Research Associate position open at the Exploratorium. The position focuses on ethnography, learning & equity in the after-school setting and is housed under the Center for Informal Learning and Schools. The position may be ideal for someone interested in pursuing research on STEM learning, tinkering/making and equity for a masters or dissertation project, or a researcher/educator with expertise in learning and ethnographic approaches. We are looking for someone who is open to learning and excited about the work.
The Research Associate for the Center for Informal Learning and Schools (CILS) provides support to the design, conduct, and analysis of projects that relate research and practice. Responsibilities of the Research Associate position include: conducting field observations, interviews, and video recording; coding data; producing content (research summaries); participating in weekly team data review meetings; and coordinating quarterly research meetings for the Exploratorium research and evaluation staff. The program seeks an educator with a passion for working with youth in community settings, a commitment to creative and active forms of teaching and learning, and a keen interest in young people’s learning and development. The position jointly reports to the Director of CILS the Director of the Community Youth program.
• Working with the Community Youth programs director and the CILS Postdoctoral
Researcher, conduct research at partner afterschool and informal education organizations
to study learning through tinkering in afterschool settings.
• Participate in weekly data review meetings to discuss and analyze teaching and learning
activities as collected through video data and observation notes.
• Develop content (research summaries) and coordinate and lead the production of content
among two universities and one advocacy organization for the NSF-funded Research to
Practice website project, based at the Exploratorium
• Other duties as assigned.
• MA or equivalent familiarity with research literature required
• Experiences working with youth in afterschool settings
• Experience in conducting field based research, including interviews and observations
• Experience with coding of video and other forms of data
• Demonstrated experience working with, and coordinating the work of, senior faculty and
researchers from universities and other academic and research organizations
• Experience with ethnographic/qualitative research, including an emphasis on building trust
and rapport with research participants
• Interest in equity and inclusion-oriented approaches to teaching and learning
• Familiarity with the research literature related to learning and to science education
• Excellent listening and communication skills
• Accurate, rigorous, and detail-oriented
• Ability to take and follow direction from senior staff
• Familiarity with Excel and Word preferred
• Ability to perform general office tasks including using a computer terminal and office
equipment, move from place to place, lift and carry up to 25 pounds.
The application submission deadline expires on Friday, October 4, 2013, or when the position is
HOW TO APPLY
This is a part-time (20 hours per week), exempt union position (grade 22)that includes
benefits. To apply please send cover letter and resume to:
CILS Research Associate
(Please include position title as the subject heading.)
Piers 15/17, San Francisco, CA 94111