Internship Opportunity: A.I.R. Harlem Communications Intern
A.I.R. Harlem is a community, based health initiative that serves some of New York City’s most vulnerable populations. A.I.R. Harlem exists to serve the roughly 30% of Harlem families with children suﬀering from asthma due to poor housing conditions and other risk factors prevalent in Harlem. Kids with poorly controlled asthma have high rates of school absence, emergency department visits, and hospitalizations that interfere with the quality of life of the entire family. A.I.R. Harlem employs an evidenced,based model for helping families control asthma and maintain healthy, active lives. Our staﬀ members work closely with families, schools, hospitals, health care providers, and community groups to coordinate prevention and control eﬀorts for maximum impact. A.I.R. Harlem is a collaborative partnership among the Harlem Children’s Zone, Harlem Hospital Center’s Department of
Pediatrics, the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, and a range of community,based organizations.
The Communications Intern will work closely with the Executive Director, Development Staﬀ and the Board as appropriate to communicate with stakeholders, including the public, clients, donors and potential donors about our work.
• Develop and disseminate messaging with clarity and brevity to be used across platforms (print, web, Facebook,Twitter)
• Conduct media research to identify speciﬁc outlets and journalists who may be interested in covering the organization’s work
• Strong proofreading, editing and writing skills
• Attention to linguistic detail
• Messaging skills with clarity and brevity that are adaptable across platforms (print, web, Facebook, Twitter)
• Ability to assist with media research to identify speciﬁc outlets and journalists
• Ability to write traditional business letters and letters of inquiry for foundations
• Professional writing/editorial
• Knowledge of the nonproﬁt/philanthropic worlds
• Grant/proposal writing
15 hours/week minimum, $500/month stipend with opportunity to become salaried position
Start date: November 11, 2013
End date: February 14, 2014
Opportunity for renewal.
How to Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter by November 1 to: Enrico Cullen email@example.com.