Communications and External Affairs seeks Student Public Relations Assistant
The Communications and External Affairs Department (CEA) plays a key role in advancing The New School’s bold mission as a comprehensive publicity, promotion, writing, design, and digital media resource. CEA’s Office of Public Relations works with key media to raise awareness about the university, manages internal communications, and collaborates with university leadership on strategic messages for major university-wide initiatives.
CEA seeks a student to serve as public relations assistant, helping the staff to promote the university’s innovative academic, professional and institutional profile. An ideal opportunity for an individual with interest in public relations, social media, and strategic messaging, this position will serve as the first point of contact for journalists and others seeking information about The New School’s faculty, academic programs, and student activities. Individuals with interest or experience in media relations and persuasive writing are ideal, as are those with fearless, outgoing personalities. Responsibilities are largely administrative with an opportunity for writing and multimedia assignments. .
· Bachelor’s degree;
· Strong writing and speaking skills;
· Up-to-date understanding of print and digital media (including social media);
· Interest and experience in institutional marketing and communications;
· Knowledge of MS Word, MS Excel, Photoshop, and database systems;
· Energy that corresponds with the university’s fast pace.
· Prepare, disseminate and archive weekly media clip reports, including scanning articles and maintaining a log of all clips
· Field calls from journalists seeking information or expertise about The New School’s faculty, academics, administration or public programs
· Develop and manage press lists, conducting relevant research using Internet media databases
· Assist in responding to and fulfilling media requests for information
· Help coordinate print and electronic communications to the media and university community
· Contact media to place calendar listings and other event-related coverage
· Help coordinate events from planning to set-up and on-site support
· Draft press releases, newsletter articles, alerts and calendar listings
· Provide general clerical support including processing invoices, filing, photocopying, and other tasks as assigned
This is a part-time, hourly position with a fixed weekly schedule of 20 hours per week. Payment is $12-15/hour commensurate with experience and skill level.
Interested students should submit a resume and covering letter indicating experience and reason for their interest in this position to: David Rosenberg, Manager, Internal Communications, CEA, email@example.com.