Job Opportunity – Research Assistant
Research Assistant- Creative practices: Cultural craftsmanship + technology in NYC
Position Type: Student
Proposed Salary/Pay Range: $17/hourly
Job Family: Parsons The New School- School of Fashion
Contact: Marie Genevieve Cyr, Assistant Professor
Description of the project:
This research focuses on exploring the intersections between technology, cultural identity and creativity. This study combines the connectivity of a small community with the resources of a big city in a series of comparative, qualitative, case study, quasi-experimental projects. Through experimentation, workshops and “skill share” exploration, the research investigates how resources, environment, and craftsmanship impact one’s discipline, industry, or profession—in this case, fashion design practices. The first phase of this research consists of interviews and studio visit of different artists / artisans / designers in New York city.
· Record interviews through video, audio, and photography.
· Create and maintain the online platform for the project (Word Press)
The student will gain a broad sense of expressive cultural practices, while meeting a wide range of creative forces in the design community who are committed to social and cultural transformation. The student will recognize the importance of collaboration by witnessing how traditional craftsmanship interlaced with technology in the production and creation of fashion can benefit humanity, society, and the environment, when tools and savoir-faire are exchanged.
· This role would suit an BFA or MA Media Studies, Trans-disciplinary Design, or a graduate student from another division of The New School with knowledge of technology.
· Should be familiar with creation of websites / online platforms. (Word Press)
· Familiar with video recording and editing.
Work hours: 2-4hrs / week (flexible hours, Wednesday preferred)
Closing date: Spring 2014