Development/Social Intern Needed
Location: SoHo office, NYC; Kampala Uganda (optional)
Organization: M-Lisada Children’s Home
Duration: 6 months or longer
Purpose of position; M-Lisada Africa Foundation Intern will assist in organizing all donor databases, create brochures, possibly a film, upgrade the website, assist with grant writing and fundraising, contributing to the attainment of the vision, mission, goal and objectives of M-Lisada.
About the organization
M-Lisada is a highly regarded children’s home in Nsambya Parish, Kampala. Our mission to reduce the number of children living on Uganda’s streets. This is accomplished by providing a home, education, and protection. We restore dignity and self-confidence through the teaching of life skills, music, and the arts.) M-Lisada is acclaimed for its brass band, jazz band and cultural dance programs.
About this Internship
Start Date; October 2014
Subsequent days and times for work
This is a part-time opportunity (15-20 hours a week), with flexible working hours. This opportunity is initially for six months with a possibility for an extension and longer term volunteering. Based in Kampala Uganda and NYC, you may work at either location.
This position is for people who are interested in pursuing careers in various aspects of film, media, the arts, non-profit management, and/or international development work. You will have the opportunity to work alongside the M-Lisada staff that is based in NYC as well as those in Kampala, Uganda, while you gain professional experience in an interesting work environment.
- Organize all donor databases.
- Research new leads, create introduction letters, and write proposals.
- Work intimately with community interest and social media sites to build the digital profile of M-Lisada.
- Construct and bolster conversations, advocacy, and support for M-Lisada’s ongoing and new projects on our website, blog and FB pages.
There are many more opportunities that you may pursue:
- Work directly on the Bombo project—we are beginning to design and construct a new school and dorms, on our farmland.
- Work with our musical groups on their outreach programs to rehabilitation centers, schools and homes for the disabled.
- Market M-Lisada’s music and entrepreneurial programs including music and dance performances, musical instrument repair shop, car service, arts and crafts, and liquid soap production.
- Organize and market our school sponsorship program.
Interest in nonprofit work, global issues, philanthropy, and the arts
Savvy, innovative and business-minded
Must have strong written and oral communication skills
Excellent organization skills
Knowledge of social media is essential
Computer skills, Microsoft Word and Excel
Experience in a collaborative/team based environment
Ability to work independently
Fundraising experience desirable
Experience in grant writing desirable
What You Will Gain:
- Experience working at a unique international, social-entrepreneurship nonprofit
- Collaboration within a positive team environment
- Increased understanding of and alignment with global issues as it pertains to young people and their well-being
- Networking with other nonprofit and media industry professionals
- Regular interaction and career mentoring with the executives of M-Lisada Africa Foundation and the administrative staff in Uganda, as well as the opportunity to network with board members and supporters.
Email your letter of application, CV, and writing sample (2 pages max) to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Social Media Intern/Volunteer” in the subject line. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.