Internship Opportunity with The Brooklyn Zen Center
The Brooklyn Zen Center’s (BZC’s) Marketing & Communications team is looking for an enthusiastic student who is eager to learn more about various aspects of MarCom, including writing marketing materials, press releases, and stories for the web, social media and e-blasts. The intern will also learn how to write and update content for the website, crop photos and upload content to the BZC website.
GENERAL INTERNSHIP DESCRIPTION
The intern will learn about and support BZC’s internal and external communication efforts, which are critical to raising awareness for the organization through media, marketing, website and new social media presence. This internship will be designed to help the intern learn about many facets of public relations and marketing through hands-on project based experience. Ideal intern candidates bring a commitment to fostering interfaith understanding, respect for diversity, strong communication skills (written and oral), and some experience in marketing and communications, event planning and organization. The Brooklyn Zen Center requires the intern to keep a weekly journal; meet regularly with his or her direct supervisor during the course of the internship and write one 500-word essay about the experience at the end of the internship. Brooklyn Zen Center is a member of Branching Streams, a network of Dharma centers in the tradition of Suzuki Roshi. The intention of Branching Streams is to encourage the practice of Soto Zen in inclusive and creative ways in centers large and small, to learn from each other’s experience, and to find new ways to benefit each other.
BASIC INTERNSHIP DESCRIPTION/DUTIES
Learn about Social Media and managing social media efforts (Facebook, YouTube, LinkedIn), and with marketing team, create an effective Social Media strategy which will include:
• Researching organizations who might “friend” BZC on various platforms
• Writing and posting messages, uploading photos and video
Learn about producing an effective nonprofit marketing campaign by:
• Developing marketing materials
• Writing press releases and producing powerful E-newsletters
• Writing and editing content and uploading photos/videos for BZC website
• Creating promotional packets for BZC’s constituents
Learn how to coordinate successful special events by:
• Working with internal and external constituents to develop activities which support BZC’s mission
• Facilitating meetings through involvement in marketing and social media committee
Learn to coordinate an effective media campaign by:
• Learning how to pitch the media and understanding the importance of maintaining an up-to-date media contact list
• Researching new media opportunities (web portals, radio psas, calendar listings)
• Creating a reference library for future campaigns by organizing press binders
Develop writing skills by
• Learning how to interview BZC constituents for testimonials and stories of their experience with BZC
• Writing powerful stories for use in newsletters, media releases, e-blasts, and fundraising campaigns
Location & Hours
This unpaid internship will be based in our Central office at 505 Carroll Street, Suite 2A, Brooklyn, NY 11215. Metrocard fare will be reimbursed each month. This internship is available now for any interested students. A minimum commitment of ten weeks is preferred with a 3-hour a week commitment.
This internship will allow the student to bring their classroom PR and Marketing knowledge into the real work and deeply broaden their knowledge and portfolio through hands-on application ina nonprofit environment. BZC also offers the intern:
• Affiliation with a nationally recognized and well-established nonprofit that is at the center of community development in Brooklyn
• The opportunity to work one-on-one with colleagues who have broad and deep experience in nonprofit marketing, media, communications, and fundraising
• Hands-on experience to build portfolio and professional contacts
• Training (when not working on other projects) in workshops, programs, or events that BZC offers its constituents. The number of training opportunities will depend on the length of the volunteer assignment, school credit, depending on the requirements of the volunteer’s school
How to Apply
This internship is for currently enrolled students. Please do not apply if you are looking for a full-time position. Interested students should apply by emailing a resume to Heather Iarusso: email@example.com or calling BZC: 718.701.1083.