Job Opportunity: Program Associate Cybersecurity Initiative
Job Description: Program Associate
Cybersecurity Initiative, International Security Program, New America
Location: Washington, DC
Department: Cybersecurity Initiative, International Security Program
New America’s Cybersecurity Initiative is seeking a Program Associate to support the policy work of the Initiative. The Program Associate position offers a mix of substantive work and administrative work and the opportunity to research and work on a variety of cybersecurity policy issues and to contribute to written publications. Program Associates are expected to provide research and writing for Initiative projects, help plan and staff events, run the Initiatives social media and other communications, edit, proofread, and fact check various publications, and other administrative tasks as needed.
The ideal candidate will be a recent graduate from a Bachelors or Masters degree program most likely (though not necessarily) in political science, computer science, international relations, history, or similar; possess outstanding and outstanding writing and research skills; be organized and attentive to details; and have an interest in cybersecurity and a desire to learn more about cybersecurity policy issues. In addition the Initiative is looking for candidates interested in blogging and publishing short, timely articles relevant to the Initiative’s work. No substantive expertise is required.
The position is based in Washington, D.C.
Program Associates are expected to:
• Provide research and writing for policy papers, regulatory filings, articles and other materials;
• Work with team members on specific projects and coordinating significant components of the project’s work with the goal of building the capacity to represent that work to the public and policymakers;
• Edit, proofread, and fact-check various documents;
• Help with the organization of policy events, roundtables, and conferences;
• Assist in other additional administrative duties as needed.
The ideal candidate will possess:
• Interest in relevant cybersecurity policy issues and an eagerness to learn more about the topic;
• A bachelor’s or master’s degree (or the equivalent) in a relevant field of study such as political science or international relations;
• Office experience through internships or full-time employment;
• Proven research, analytical, writing, and editing skills;
• Comfort writing about complex issues in an accessible manner;
• Attention to detail and excellent organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize tasks and manage time in order to meet multiple deadlines.
Position open until filled.
Submit a resume, one-page cover letter, three (3) references, and a writing sample no longer than five pages. NO PHONE CALLS.
Salary is commensurate with experience and is competitive with public interest and government pay scales. Excellent benefits package includes health care and dental coverage, a retirement plan, paid vacation, sick days and parental leave.
New America is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse work force at all levels of the organization thereby creating a culture that allows us to better serve our clientele, our employees and our communities. We value and encourage the contributions of our employees and strive to create an environment where everyone can reach their full potential and drive outstanding results.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.