SMS Student Advisor Position Available
The School of Media Studies is hiring Student Advisors for the Summer and Fall semester. Student Advisors report directly to the Director of Student Affairs and support all aspects of academic advising in the School of Media Studies.
Advisors are responsible for providing general advisement, meeting with students, and providing administrative support to a number of complex and confidential projects.
Position Availability: begin Summer 2017/ Training in April/May 2017
Hours: 10 – 20 hours per week through out the year.
- Initiate contact with students to answer questions regarding academics and administrative support
- Respond to advisement requests through our department’s email account
- Knowledgable of resources, departments, and support offices on campus and who they serve student success
- Participate in graduate orientation and other events throughout the semester
- Meet with students and provide students with appropriate referrals
- Perform other duties and/or special projects as assigned
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Able to work both independently and collaboratively on projects
- Ability to problem-solve student concerns
- Professional, collegiate and polite attitude
- Strong Time-Management skills
- Prior experience in student advisement (peer advisor role)
- Prior experience in a professional office environment
- Prior experience leading administrative projects
- Basic experience in Photoshop/Illustrator/ InDesign
- Federal work study eligibility
Interested applicants can apply by submitting their resume, cover letter, and (if eligible) a copy of their federal work study paperwork to email@example.com as one attachment in pdf format. Preference will be given to candidates who submit by March 13th.