Project Assistant Needed at Lang
|Position Availability:||Start date: April 3|
|Position Title:||Project Assistant|
|Location||New York City|
|Department:||SPE/English as a Second Lang|
|Responsibilities:||Graduate Student Project Assistant for Pre-College English Program
The English Language Studies Department is seeking a resourceful and detail oriented New School graduate student to assist the department’s director with a new seven-week pre-college summer program.
This Intensive Academic English program is designed for a cohort of 10 Brazilian girls ages 16 to 19 who will arrive on June 17 and depart on August 5, 2017.
The students’ coursework will focus on building the language skills necessary for academic study and orientate them to university life in the U.S.The training will include college application workshops, field trips to other campuses and excursions around NYC. In addition, the students will participate in activities with other pre-college summer programs at The New School.
The Project Assistant will work with the students, their parents and University offices to keep the program running smoothly. The PA will handle a variety of clerical tasks; answer inquiries from parents, students and teachers; develop and maintain calendars and databases; work closely with the housing office and International Student Services; and accompany students on outings.
The position starts in April and hours gradually increase until the students arrive. The hours are flexible with some evening and weekend work required. The schedule is as follows:
● 10 hours a week from Monday April 3 through Friday May 26
● 15 hours a week from Tuesday May 30 through Friday June 16
● 30 hours a week from Saturday June 17 (students’ arrival date) through Saturday August 5 (students’ departure date).
This position includes, but is not limited to, the following responsibilities:
● Assist in communicating with various University offices
● Disseminate information to students and parents
● Respond to inquiries from internal and external stakeholders
● Prepare print and online materials
● Support faculty
● Assist in set-up and help facilitate onsite and offsite events
● Research and organize excursions
● Lead some excursions
|Minimum Qualifications:||Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Proficient in Microsoft Office and Google Apps
Experience working with teens and coordinating social activities
Familiarity with NYC neighborhoods, attractions and museums
|Preferred Qualifications:||Experience with MailChimp
Basic graphic design skills
Fluent Portuguese speaker