Temp Job at MSF
Web Editor (Temporary)
Reports to: Editorial Director
Type of position: Temporary, Full-time, Exempt
Duration: 12 weeks (July 5–September 29, 2017)
Purpose of Job
Under the direction of the Editorial Director, the Web Editor is primarily responsible for writing, editing, and curating content on doctorswithoutborders.org.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
Edits, formats, and publishes MSF-USA content on doctorswithoutborders.org. Provides general editorial support to MSF-USA’s Communications Department, including content triage, photography selection, and review of text elements for videos and social media posts. May provide occasional editorial support for print publications, such as the Annual Report, Alert quarterly magazine, brochures, and other collateral. Develops and writes content as needed to support MSF-USA website redesign project.
Participates in regular meetings about content production and dissemination. Contributes ideas to enhance the presentation of MSF-USA’s work on the website.
Monitors MSF field activities and relevant news developments to appropriately represent the organization in communications materials. Reads MSF reports and updates, attends office presentations, program briefings, and other informational events.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit for long periods and to concentrate on work, including typing, and turn out heavy volumes of work accurately, within the context of a moderately noisy office with many interruptions. Must be able to proofread own work accurately so that only minor corrections are needed on an infrequent basis.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Working Conditions, Travel and Environment
The duties of the job require regular attendance 5 days/week for a minimum of 35 hours. Must be available to work before 9:00 am or after 5:00 pm, or on weekends, as required.
- Minimum 3 years of directly relevant editorial experience, preferably with a non-profit and/or media organization
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Web publishing experience, including editorial best practices and familiarity with content management systems, especially Drupal
- Skilled copy editor, proofreader, researcher, and fact checker
- Outstanding written and oral communications skills, along with a flawless grasp of American English grammar
- A quick and enthusiastic learner, open to critique and rewrites
- Proactive and willing to contribute ideas and opinions
- Responsible, motivated, and able to work independently
- A hands-on team player, comfortable in a fast-paced, newsroom-style working environment
- Genuine interest in and commitment to the humanitarian principles of MSF
- Working knowledge of HTML and CSS.
- Nonprofit and/or news media experience
- French language proficiency is a plus
How to Apply
To apply, send letter of interest/cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org, ATTN: Temporary Web Editor before June 16, 2017. Any applications submitted without letter of interest/cover letter will not be considered.
Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis.
Salary – Low to High 70s (USD). Comprehensive benefits provided. A friendly, supportive environment.
No calls please.