STUDY SUMMER 2018 IN KARLSRUHE, GERMANY
STUDENT EXCHANGE PROGRAM
The New School – University of Arts and Design, Karlsruhe Germany Application Deadline: Mon, October 2, 2017
The School of Media Studies offers a student exchange program with the University of Arts and Design (HfG / Hochschule für Gestaltung) Karlsruhe, Germany.
The selected Media Studies student will spend the summer semester 2018—mid-April to mid-July—in Karlsruhe.* Funding of Euro 4,500 for travel and accommodation will be provided as a scholarship. The courses taken at the University of Arts and Design will count towards the MA in Media Studies but tuition (per credit) will be paid to The New School. For application guidelines, see below.
* Students will be able to make special arrangements in order to also take courses during the Spring 2018 semester at The New School.
About University of Arts and Design, Karlsruhe:
The Karlsruhe University of Arts and Design (HfG / Hochschule für Gestaltung) was founded in 1992 along with the Center for Culture and Media (ZKM – http://zkm.de/eng/), which has gained the reputation of being the leading European Media Arts Museum. HfG and ZKM are located within the same building and have collaborated on programs for many years. The interdisciplinary, theory-practice based approach of the HFG makes it an ideal partner for the School of Media Studies. The HfG curriculum both overlaps with and offers different specializations than the Media Studies curriculum, which makes a student exchange a constructive educational experience. HfG employes a roster of internationally established media artists,
theorists, and practitioners. (Most classes are conducted in English and some faculty members are native English speakers).
For more information on HfG and its curriculum, please visit:
http://beta.hfg-karlsruhe.de/en/studium/ http://beta.hfg-karlsruhe.de/en/hochschule/publikationen/informationsbroschueren/ For detailed information on HfG research and faculty, see annual report at http://beta.hfg- karlsruhe.de/en/hochschule/publikationen/jahresberichte/jahresbericht-20152016/
Please email the following materials to Christiane Paul (email@example.com) by October 2:
- Curriculum Vitae
- An academic plan (2-3 pages) that addresses the following questions andsubjects:
- Please outline your academic goals for the MA in Media Studies and the coursesyou have taken so far.
- Why are you interested in spending a semester at HFG and how would yourstudies at HFG help you achieve your academic goals?
- Please examine the HfG course offerings; in which courses would you be particularly interested? Which criteria will guide the selection of your courses at HfG?
- What do you hope to achieve during your semester in Germany?
- What makes you particularly qualified for study at HfG?To apply for the exchange program at HfG, you should meet the following criteria:
- A matriculated student in good academic and disciplinary standing
- At least one year of studies in the Media Studies program completed by the timeyour exchange program begins
- Be a self-directed learner who is proactive in pursuing educational goals (the German higher education system generally is less guided than the US one).