ELab Admin Assistant Position Available at Parsons
ELab is a design led business lab and incubator dedicated to entrepreneurship research and practice at The New School, founded by Assistant Professor Rhea Alexander with the Parsons School of Design Strategies.
The Lab runs 2 flagship programs – the 12-mo incubation fellowship for recently minted alumni entrepreneurs seeking a bridge between academia and applied practice in entrepreneurship, as well as the INNOVATE NYC program for social entrepreneurship for current students, in partnership with the DO school along with 10 universities across NYC. ELab also provides support for the broader entrepreneurship community through workshops and events, as well as publications and our dedicated research. In 2018 we plan to kick off a third pilot program, aimed at recently minted alumni who wish to kick-off creative agency models or independent businesses.
The scope of this position and the level of responsibility expected of Student Admin. Assistants is broader and deeper than many other student positions. We expect a lot from our team, both in terms of commitment and quality of work, and we give a lot in return. Student Admin Assistants will have an opportunity to network widely, both within the University and with numerous external partners, and receive informal mentorship. Previous Assistants have produced significant professional development within this role. Additionally, we strive to provide a significant leadership development experience that allows individuals to develop and expand upon their skills while addressing their personal goals.
Our team contributes effectively to serving program needs within incubation, research and administrative capacities of the lab. We provide a demanding environment and a learning experience allowing students to develop as leaders, grow their skill sets and expand their professional networks. This is an excellent leadership role that requires both strategic planning and execution, bridging a role as both advisor and entrepreneur representing and building ELab in many ways.
Admin Assistants, to us known as Venture Associates, have professional experience in business strategy, entrepreneurship and finance, and are responsible for managing a portfolio of startups, which includes:
-Weekly meetings with fellows to review goals, progress, needs and provide mentorship accordingly, actively acting as Product /Project manager
-Actively connecting fellows with opportunities within ELab and beyond, including mentors, partner spaces, sector experts, funders and investors – and growing the ecosystem of support available for fellows. Making introductions and collecting resources is critical.
-Collecting data and metrics on the Fellows in accordance with ELab documentation standards -Attending ELab events
-Reporting back weekly to ELab during 2-hour block meeting on startups for optimal support calibration. Additionally, Venture Associates as team admins are responsible for strategizing collectively the ELab operations including:
-Strategizing curriculum and selecting monthly topical workshops and expert meet-ups directly related to current fellow needs
-Organizing periodic pitching events for fellows, that covers event strategy and execution including: quarterly reviews, Pitch Night, Mid-Way review and Demo Day
-Weekly team meetings for planning, reviewing and brainstorming on other ELab operations, research and broader goals
-Attending events in NYC entrepreneurship community relevant to expanding resources and opportunities for ELab
There are 4 broad categories of responsibilities and roles within the ELab Team that require additional specialty or focus:
– INTERNAL COMMUNICATIONS //
– Managing ELab email, media and social promotions, content and establishing / following routine and reliable communication channels for news and events with Fellows, their teams, Mentors and Partners.
- – Digital Communications: Help develop and produce new web assets and digital materials for the Elab (ie blog, social media platforms, presentations, etc). Manage existing digital communications platforms (blog, Twitter, Facebook accounts).
- – Liaising with university administrative teams to book spaces, market events in program newsletters and work with the alumni office and others across the university ecosystem
- EXTERNAL STAKEHOLDERS & EVENTS //
– Coordinating all communication with and securing existing partners & mentors, new partners & mentors, strategic planning and external communication with regard to event planning (location, date, time, calendar event, eventbrite etc)
– OPERATIONS //
– All internal ELab administrative operations such as assuring proper documentation, actively maintaining meeting notes, updating content internally, securing any legal materials or contracts
– Maintaining the Elab archives, scanning and collecting documents as needed.
– DESIGN + VIDEO PRODUCTION//
– Graphic design and brand development using Adobe suite
– Creating all graphics for events and research needed, including the yearly Annual Report. These must reflect ELab style. Upcoming year will include correspondence with website redesign team in New School for web overhaul.
– Promotional video creation and FB Live management
-Track record in entrepreneurship, business strategy, finance
-Highly motivated, able to take initiative and function as a self-starter with minimal supervision -Very proactive and very responsive communication in Slack, Email, and phone
-Able to and interest in communicating verbally with team and with external stakeholders -Excellent organization/prioritization skills, attention to detail, and follow-through
-Capacity to generate ideas and think analytically
-Openness to learning new skills and working on a variety of projects
Pay rate: $15/hour
Hours per week: 10 hours during the academic year.
Send your cover letter, resume and portfolio (URL or PDF) to: firstname.lastname@example.org or Rhea Alexander at email@example.com
Making sure to include in the subject line: ‘ELab VA: Last Name, First Name.’
- Job Opportunities at XR Center at The New School - January 20, 2021
- What to Watch Online this Week on Cinema Tropical - January 20, 2021
- Global South Centers Presents Black Utopias, A Conversation Between Cauleen Smith & Jayna Brown, 2/4 - January 20, 2021