Internship Opportunity: Grow to Learn NYC Seeks Video Production Intern
Grow to Learn Video Production Intern
About Grow to Learn NYC:
Grow to Learn is the citywide school gardens initiative. They work across the five boroughs to
help establish sustainable learning gardens in public and charter K-12 schools. They believe
gardens allow urban public schools to sustain a different type of learning environment,
emphasizing the growth of inquiry learning competencies and deep personal connections to the
natural world. Since its inception in 2011, Grow to Learn has registered 741 schools as part of
their network. Registered schools are eligible for mini-grant funding to build or expand a garden
space, ongoing training opportunities, free garden materials, and access to an extensive online
resource library and garden network.
Grow to Learn is looking to expand its web-based training materials and hoping to add digital
testimonials from their grantees to our website. The Grow to Learn team is looking for video
production interns with a passion for environmentalism and community building, strong urban
gardening and/or NYC public school knowledge and solid writing skills. Candidates must have
demonstrated talent for visual storytelling and script writing.
This position is based in New York City and reports to the School Gardens Manager.
- Identify and pitch topics to be developed for training videoa
- Review past funded grant applications and identify potential interviewees for testimonials
- Outreach to potential interview subjects
- Assist on shoots in-house and in the field
- Work on both training video and video testimonials with School Gardens Manager
- Assist in writing strong, sharp and compelling scripts
- Work with School Gardens Manager in the editing process
Qualified candidates will be/have:
- Actively pursuing a Bachelors degree in a related field
- A commitment to the mission of Grow to Learn
- A strong understanding of visual storytelling
- Excellent written and verbal, strong editing skills
- Proficiency in VideoPad, OpenShot, iMovie and/or other video editing software preferred
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented with strong written, verbal and organizational skills
- Excellent computer skills with experience in Microsoft Office, Google Suite and social media platforms
- The ability to work independently and with others
- Dependable, flexible, and able to take initiative
- Able to meet deadlines
- Openness to learning and growing within the internship experience
Location & Hours.
Able to dedicate at least 2 days per week. Specific days and number of hours are flexible and
can be negotiated based on class load. Work sites include Grow to Learn offices in Lower
Manhattan and schools and gardens across the five boroughs.
Start & End Dates:
June 18, 2018 with a minimum commitment of 8-10 weeks preferred.
- This internship will allow the student to bring their classroom knowledge into a professional work setting and broaden their knowledge through hands-on application in an environmental nonprofit.
- Hands-on experience to build portfolio and professional contacts
- Professional credit on GTL’s website and materials
- School credit, depending on the requirements
How to Apply:
Send a resume, cover letter and a link to portfolio or past work to: Arielle Hartman at
Subject Line: GTL Video Production Intern Application
Grow to Learn is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.