Position Available: Senior Manager of Communications at The Hunger Project
The Hunger Project (THP) is a global non-profit organization whose mission is to end hunger and poverty by pioneering sustainable, grassroots, women-centered strategies and advocating for their widespread adoption in countries throughout the world. We operate in 22 countries with 330 staff and have mobilized hundreds of thousands volunteer leaders worldwide. Our programs throughout Africa, South Asia and Latin America are based on an innovative, holistic approach, which empowers women and men living in rural villages to become the agents of their own development and make sustainable progress in overcoming hunger and poverty.
The Global Communications unit drives toward our mission and upholds our global brand and identity as an organization. The primary purposes of the Senior Manager, Communications are to (1) enhance visibility and generate awareness, and (2) increase internal communication and collaboration. The role is a strategic, creative, results-oriented leader responsible for engaging colleagues across the organization in implementing coordinated and comprehensive global communication strategies.
This is a full-time position, based out of the Global Office in New York City, with an opportunity to work out of the NY office or remotely. It reports to the Global Vice President for Fundraising and Communications and works closely with other Hunger Project staff from around the globe.
1. Generating visibility and awareness through digital and print media, and public relations: develop and implement communications and marketing strategies and messages to educate and inform audiences about The Hunger Project’s mission, programs and impact.
• Manage the organization’s global online presence (website, social media) to attract new investors, partners and supporters to the organization.
• Lead content generation for digital and print communications streams. Ensure communications are grounded in a clear understanding of context and audience.
• Develop and implement global campaigns including The Hunger Project’s participation in international days of significance and other international advocacy moments, to deliver key messages and enhance The Hunger Project’s reputation as a thought leader.
• Serve as point of contact for press inquiries; develop content for external placements; and identify opportunities to promote public awareness of The Hunger Project and its mission.
• Engage in outreach to develop cause-related/third-party marketing partnerships and coordinate their implementation.
• Spearhead and manage global peer-to-peer online fundraising campaigns.
2. Enhance internal communication and collaboration: To support effective collaboration, ensure delivery of consistent messaging, and maintain a cohesive global brand.
• Serve as an information hub and resource to global teams.
• Develop, maintain and champion internal collaboration tools – including Slack and a Google Site-based Intranet.
• Lead global teams and foster strong relationships with colleagues across countries and departments.
• Craft regular internal communications on behalf of organizational leaders; Prepare materials for Global Board of Directors.
3. Participate in collegial office environment including helping with office-wide initiatives outside of own job area such as events.
• M.A. in International Relations/Development/Gender studies or Communications/Marketing.
• 5+ years of relevant experience in complex organizations with a demonstrated track record in promoting an organization’s vision and work with creativity and passion.
• Demonstrated success in leading and working with a fast-paced, creative team in a global, decentralized organization. Thrives on finding ways to drive collaboration and overcome challenges.
• A strategic thinker who knows how to leverage limited resources to produce maximum results.
• Articulate writer and confident presenter.
• Proficient in standard business applications and quick learner of new technologies. WordPress, Google Sites, Slack, Blackbaud/Luminate Online, and Social Media management experience strongly preferred.
• Ability to manage multiple projects, handle pressure, and work the flexible hours which are at times required in a deadline-driven position at a global organization across multiple time zones.
• Has a network of relationships relevant to this work and broad knowledge in non-profit communications and marketing.
• Experience working across nations and cultures; willingness and ability to travel abroad.
• Commitment to The Hunger Project’s values, including an understanding of and compatibility with our principles and philosophy. As part of the Global Fundraising & Communications team, this entails a deep commitment to communicating The Hunger Project’s work with integrity and complete respect for the dignity and self-reliance of women and men ending their own hunger. The successful candidate will be working with a team who loves what they are doing and feels it is a privilege to be working in service of this mission.
• Defined contribution for each staff member to be spent on choice of authorized benefits including gold level medical, dental and vision, or toward alternative medical coverage or student loans.
• 20 days paid leave to start, plus 9 holidays and 12 sick days.
• Progressive parental leave: 2 months’ full time pay, with 3-month gradual return.
• Flexible work hours and arrangements.
• Retirement plan: gradual vesting in 401(a) Fund over 5 years. Match provided to 403(b) pre-tax Annuity.
How to Apply
Please forward your letter of interest, resume and references for immediate consideration to email@example.com. Note “Senior Manager, Communications” in the subject line of your e-mail.