Job Opening: Founding Director for JUST MEDIA
JUST MEDIA seeks an entrepreneurial, creative, and passionate Founding Director to build a new organization that aims to harness the power of media to inspire criminal justice reform. This person will build JUST MEDIA over the next 6-12 months and then either hire or apply to become the Executive Director.
The Vision for JUST MEDIA
JUST MEDIA is a new organization and open-access, multi-media database for content related to criminal justice. JUST MEDIA has three objectives:
- Provide an infrastructure to support advocacy efforts for systemic reform
- Empower storytellers to create excellent new content about the criminal justice system
- Support healing for system-impacted individuals and their families and communities JUST MEDIA means to challenge the dominant narrative about criminal justice by humanizing system-impacted people, constructing bridges rather than walls, and supporting true public safety and wellness.
Where We Are Now
JUST MEDIA is at the incubator stage. A Landscape Analysis was completed in early 2018 to establish the need for a media database of criminal justice content. Over the past year, a powerful and growing network of media makers, advocates, tech developers, and funders has been engaged in early visioning conversations. Brain Trust meetings were convened in June and September to gestate the organizational concept. Funding has been secured to support JUST MEDIA’s establishment, including hiring a Founding Director.
Next Steps for the Founding Director
- Build Community: Develop relationships with the existing network of advisors who are already committed to JUST MEDIA and introduce the organization to new communities and potential partners, advocates, and funders.
- Organizational Development: Formalize a Board of Directors from JUST MEDIA’s existing networks, create policies and procedures, and transition the organization to a fiscal sponsor en route to filing as an independent 501(c)(3).
- Secure Funding: As the primary ambassador and storyteller for JUST MEDIA, meet and communicate with prospective funders and work to secure an additional $350,000 in seed funding..
- Platform Creation: Oversee the development of a Minimum Viable Product (MVP) website in partnership with The Last Mile and lay the groundwork to develop the full database.
- Communications Strategy: Develop a broad communications program including an interim website, e-mail campaigns, social media, public events, and press/PR to announce JUST MEDIA and ensure its initial visibility and impact.
What will strengthen your application
- Direct Criminal Justice Experience: applications from system-impacted individuals, including returning citizens and those on parole, are encouraged.
- Flexibility, Grace, and Energy: You will be building the ship as it’s sailing, with all the pitfalls, creative solutions, and wild successes that come with it!
- Cultural Competence: Feel equally comfortable in a room with system-impacted communities or criminal justice reform advocates or tech investor funders.
- Excellent Communicator: Superior interpersonal skills, a terrific writer, and savvy digital communicator.
- Leadership Acumen and Management Experience: Demonstrate the ability to build and inspire a team, effectively develop messaging to communicate an organization’s mission, and develop a business plan and organizational funding strategy.
You are not alone! The Founding Director will be supported by a large and influential group of advisors who are already committed to supporting the project and by a part-time Senior Administrator/Project Coordinator. You will also have access to leadership coaching and professional development and can make additional hires as needed.
Eligibility and How to Apply Applicants must be eligible to work in the United States. JUST MEDIA encourages applications from formerly incarcerated and system-impacted individuals, including those on parole; people of color; LGBTQIA+ individuals; people with disabilities; people of all educational backgrounds; people of all genders; and all others regardless of immigration history. No phone calls please; applications (cover letter and resume) and inquiries may be sent via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to: JUST MEDIA c/o Aubin Pictures 138 Grand Street, 5EF New York, NY 10013