HOTEL TRADES COUNCIL 2019 Media Production Internship
The Hotel Trades Council (HTC), AFL-CIO, is the union of hotel and gaming workers in New York and Northern New Jersey. For 80 years, HTC has been at the forefront of the fight for social justice, including racial, economic and gender equality. Today, in a time of political uncertainty, massive income inequality and injustice, we continue to fight to better the lives of hotel and gaming workers.
HTC is currently accepting applications from smart, well-organized, creative and tech-savvy candidates for a Media Production Internship in our union’s organizing department.
The Media Production Intern will assist in the production of written, digital, and video material for internal organizing, contract fights, and organizing drives. Interested applicants should expect a hands-on internship working directly with our growing media team. This is a unique opportunity to learn from seasoned organizers about how to produce effective communications for a variety of organizing efforts, and to gain exposure to a powerful and effective local labor union.
Successful candidates should be able to write clearly and persuasively, and have photography and video skills. Candidates should also have a demonstrated passion for social justice and be eager to contribute their skills to improve the lives of working people and strengthen the labor movement.
Resourceful and committed interns who distinguish themselves have numerous opportunities for interesting and rewarding work. Many interns are offered full-time positions within HTC’s Organizing department.
Qualifications For Becoming Media Production Intern
• Demonstrated commitment to social justice
• Willingness to handle a wide range of dynamic responsibilities
• Experience creating graphics and video with Adobe Creative Cloud applications (Illustrator, Photoshop, Premiere, etc)
• An understanding of major social media platforms (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter)
• Ability to communicate respectfully and comfortably with people from diverse backgrounds
• Ability to write clearly, concisely, and persuasively
• Ability to multi-task and work efficiently
• Ability to learn quickly and grow into positions of greater responsibility
• Thorough attention to details
• Willingness to work hard and put in long hours when necessary
• Reliability, and a cooperative attitude
Extra Consideration Will Be Given For The Following
• Bilingual, especially in Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin, Russian or Polish
• Experience working in the hotel, restaurant, or other service industries
Areas Of Responsibility Include (but Not Limited To)
• Producing content for digital campaigns and preparing analytical reports
• Assist in research and development of content
• Tracking social media channels to produce trending reports
• Documentation of union events
• Designing flyers and other written materials
• Keeping video files organized and up-to-date
• Organizing and preparing projects for editors
• Syncing audio and video footage
• Creating templates for internal and external publications; social media content; newsletter content • Formatting and copy-editing of scripts and transcripts
• Systematizing our media archive and keeping new footage well organized
• Assisting union organizers in the field Pay
• Interns will be paid $16 per hour, with overtime pay after 40 hours on an as needed basis.
• The union will sponsor students for academic credit when applicable
We seek to hire the best of the best, and there are a limited number of positions available. To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter. Cover letters should be limited to one page and should explain in specific terms the reasons for your interest in the internship.
Applications should be sent to email@example.com. Deadline for applying to the Media Production and Research Internship 2019 is April 15, 2019.
The New York Hotel Trades Council, AFL-CIO, is an equal opportunity employer. All persons regardless of age, race, ethnicity, gender, religious affiliation and sexual orientation are encouraged to apply.