The Bronx Documentary Center is now accepting 2019-2020 Fellowship Applications
The BDC Films Fellowship Program invites traditionally underrepresented documentary filmmakers to participate in a free year-long documentary filmmaking fellowship at the BDC.
Participants are provided with:
- Workshops with established documentary filmmakers
- Professional development courses
- Professional filmmaking equipment
- Production and post-production space
- Co-working space
- Mentorship from BDC staff and visiting filmmakers
- Opportunities to present their work to the public
- Monthly travel stipend
- Peer support
Criteria for Applicants
The BDC seeks to identify fellows who:
- Identify racially, culturally or economically with a historically underrepresented population;
- Are at least 18 years old;
- Live and work in New York City, preferably in the Bronx;
- Are not currently students or enrolled in any degree-granting program at the time of the fellowship;
- Are not participating in a comparable development, fellowship, or residency program;
- Have not written, directed, and/or produced a full-length documentary film that has screened at a national or international film festival.
- Are not currently full-time employees or board members of the BDC.
In addition to the criteria listed above, the BDC will look for candidates who would most benefit from the opportunities that the program offers and who demonstrate a strong vision, commitment to their work, artistic excellence, and potential for artistic growth.
Ideal candidates will have great promise, yet lack access to networks of professionals and artists able to help them take their careers to the next level. An ideal candidate will also most benefit from additional skills development and the provision of space and support to create documentary films. We seek artists whose work stimulates debate and discussion in our community around the themes that guide the BDC: justice, education, and social progress. Lastly, artists must be willing to work collaboratively and supportively in a group of peers and commit to participating in at least 80% of the workshops. Participants are responsible for collaborating on several short documentary projects and are expected to independently complete at least one short documentary during their fellowship.
Candidates are required to supply the following:
- BDC Films Fellowship application form found here
- Resume or CV
- Written essay (no more than 1 page). Please explain why you would be a good fit for this fellowship and describe what you would be excited to learn or experience.
- A link to at least one sample of your documentary filmmaking work. Submissions can be of any length, including full-length features, shorts, or webisodes.
- Two Professional References
Contact Giacomo Francia, Program Manager, with any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications are due June 15, 2019 by 11:59PM EST.
Application workshop will be held Saturday, June 1st, at 12pm at BDC Annex, 364 East 151st Street, Bronx, NY, 10455.
Click here for more information.