25th Annual DGA Student Film Awards- Submission Deadline 10/4
For more than two decades, the Student Film Awards have spotlighted dozens of African American, Asian American, Latino, and Women filmmakers. Winners of the DGA Student Film Awards in each category will receive a $2,500 prize from the DGA and have their films screened in a special ceremony at the DGA Theater.
A number of previous winners have gone on to enjoy successful directing careers, including:
- Steven Caple Jr. (Creed II; Grown-ish; Rapture; The Land)
- Jon M. Chu (Crazy Rich Asians; Now You See Me 2; G.I. Joe: Retaliation; Step Up 3D)
- Ryan Coogler (Black Panther; Creed; Fruitvale Station)
- Nicole Kassell (Castlerock; Westworld; The Americans; The Following)
- Patricia Riggen (Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan; Miracles From Heaven; The 33; Lemonade Mouth)
- Justin Tipping (Dear White People; The Chi; Black Monday)
- Sylvain White (Slender Man; The Americans; Hawaii Five-0; Empire; Stomp the Yard)
This year’s application period runs until October 4, 2019, and the winners in each category will be announced in November.
Students can access the application and submit electronically on the DGA website at www.dga.org
Eligible films must be completed in the 2018/2019 school year (September 2018 through August 2019), and must be produced as a student project under the supervision of a faculty member. Dramas, comedies, and documentaries are all eligible. Animated films, experimental films, commercials, music videos and webisodes are not eligible. Applicants must be enrolled in, or be a recent (one-year) graduate from an accredited post-secondary institution located in the United States and selected by the DGA. Eligible films are those in which a student holds every major crew position.
For additional information, e-mail email@example.com.