This Week in Cinema Tropical, 2/24 – 3/2
This week in New York, join iconic interdisciplinary artist Coco Fusco and the Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies at NYU for a . conversation on the groundbreaking street performances of Cuban artist JuanSí González.
In theaters is Rashaad Ernesto Green‘s Harlem coming-of-age romance Premature, starring poet and co-writer Zora Howard. Responding to rising gentrification in New York alongside the lack of black female protagonists in mainstream romance movies, Premature pushes back by telling a story of black love, not black pain. Premature, a nominee of this year’s Cinema Tropical Awards for Best U.S. Latinx Film, is now playing at the IFC Center.
And also playing at the IFC Center is Patricio Guzmán‘s acclaimed The Cordillera of Dreams. “Beautifully shot and politically urgent… a reminder that there’s no better chronicler of Chile’s past and present as Guzmán” raves Remezcla. Don’t miss it on the big screen.
SCREENINGS AND FESTIVALS:
– The Art of Intervention: The Performance of Juansí González Website
– Leona Website
– ‘Winter Film Awards 2020’ Website
– Do It Like A Man Website
– Diary of a Chambermaid Website
– Horror in the Andes and New York, Just Another City Website
– ‘African Diaspora Int’l Film Festival: Black History Month’ Website
– Mi Vida Loca Website
– Baño Sagrado Website
– Rocío and La Boda Website