Job Opportunity: PEN America-Project Coordinator, Online Harassment Defense
PEN America, a non-profit organization that stands at the intersection of literature and human rights, seeks a dynamic and detail-oriented project coordinator to join our efforts to defend writers, journalists, and artists, as well as their allies and employers, against online abuse and protect their free expression rights online. This is a full-time position based in New York.
The project coordinator will work with PEN America’s in-house expert to drive forward PEN America’s work against online harassment by: expanding our engagement with affected audiences in the creative and media sectors; providing support for and conducting online harassment self-defense trainings and giving public presentations; following current developments in online abuse, anti-harassment, and digital content moderation and conducting relevant research, analysis, and advocacy; developing and managing the social media and digital engagement strategy across channels and platforms; and forging new partnerships.
In response to the growing threat that online hate and harassment pose to free expression, PEN America is expanding our Online Harassment Defense project. In 2018, we developed and launched a first-of-its-kind digital toolkit, the Online Harassment Field Manual, based on extensive research and interviews with writers, journalists, technology experts, editors, newsrooms, and advocacy groups. The Field Manual is specifically tailored to equip writers and journalists, as well as their allies and employers, with practical strategies and comprehensive resources to defend against online abuse. PEN America also offers training sessions and gives public presentations nationwide on navigating online abuse for writers and journalists, legal professionals, allies, and employers. The project coordinator will play a key role in moving this important work forward.
The ideal candidate will be deeply committed to making online spaces safer and more equitable, passionate about protecting free expression rights online, and have an understanding of the issues related to digital safety in an era of rapidly evolving technology. The position requires an energized, highly organized, and collaborative work style, a diplomatic approach sensitive to the complexities of online harassment, and the drive to build PEN America’s expertise and impact in this field. The project coordinator will have the opportunity to track and respond to breaking news, to speak to audiences and lead trainings on our work, to travel nationally, and to build relationships with writers, journalists, editors, newsrooms, professional organizations, and civil society organizations in the media, literary, and digital rights sectors. Taking up this role will mean working with a wide range of tools to reach audiences, build support, and advance messages. The position will report to the Manager of Special Projects and is part of PEN America’s broader Free Expression Program.
- Develop and manage the social media and digital engagement strategy across channels for our Online Harassment Defense Project and draft compelling social media and web content to optimize engagement and to expand and deepen our outreach to the creative and media sectors.
- Follow current developments in online abuse, anti-harassment, and digital content moderation, conduct relevant research and analysis, and draft content for the Online Harassment Field Manual and Online Harassment Defense Trainings.
- Develop materials and resources and conduct trainings for writers, journalists, artists, their allies, and their employers.
- Identify opportunities for innovative research projects, partnerships and collaborations, public-facing campaigns, and legislative advocacy.
- Attend and speak at conferences and other public events, and deliver trainings to diverse audiences.
- Research funding opportunities and draft proposals to sustain and build the program.
- Assist with intern recruitment and management, record-keeping, financial reconciliation, and other tasks as appropriate.
- Creatively collaborate with other PEN America staff and programs to coordinate advocacy, public programming, membership activities, and other organizational initiatives as appropriate.
- Passionately support and advance PEN America’s mission to safeguard free expression in the U.S. and abroad.
- A minimum of 2 years and preferably more relevant experience in journalism or media, communications, technology, program management or coordination, policy advocacy, and/or research.
- Strong knowledge of free expression issues and familiarity with contemporary debates over online harassment.
- Experience and facility with public speaking, public education, or public programs/event organizing.
- Experience with social media, and communications utilizing multiple platforms.
- Strong project management skills, including managing budgets, timelines, and short and long-term deadlines for deliverables.
- General knowledge of grant-writing and reporting.
- A diplomatic disposition and great facility with interpersonal communication and relationship building.
- Track record for independent problem-solving, innovation, creativity, and effectiveness.
- Excellent writing, research and presentation skills.
Salary and Benefits: PEN America offers competitive compensation and benefits, commensurate with experience.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, unedited writing sample, and the contact information for three references. Please submit the entire application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use “Online Harassment Defense Project Coordinator” and your name as the subject of your email (for example, “Online Harassment Defense Project Coordinator – Jane Doe”). Only complete applications will be reviewed and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.