Frontline is Hiring: Production Assistant
Click here to apply.
WGBH enriches people’s lives through programs and services that educate, inspire, and entertain, fostering citizenship and culture, the joy of learning, and the power of diverse perspectives.
At FRONTLINE, we are dreaming big about the new ways we can tell stories on-air and online, and we are looking for creative thinkers with a passion for investigative and accountability journalism to join our team.
FRONTLINE is investigative journalism that questions, explains and changes our world. We’ve been American television’s top long-form news and current affairs series since 1983, and we’ve won every major journalism and broadcasting award, including 91 Emmy Awards and 20 Peabody Awards. You can watch more than 200 of our documentaries online, for free, any time — and you can find our original digital reporting, interactives and analysis everywhere you are.
FRONTLINE is committed to presenting more voices, perspectives and experiences across our platforms. To foster a work environment that values inclusiveness and reflects the broad perspectives of the American public, we encourage applicants from all racial, ethnic, religious and socio-economic backgrounds, sexual orientations, gender identities and functional limitations to apply, especially those from historically marginalized communities.
We work out of WGBH Educational Foundation in Boston, the public media powerhouse, home to 11 public television services, three public radio services, and a number of national television productions, including NOVA, Masterpiece, American Experience and others.
Under the supervision of the Production Manager, the Post-Production Assistant assists with all aspects of FRONTLINE post-production for documentary films. This position primarily supports the finishing of films, through online, delivery and archiving. The Post-Production Assistant is the steward of our film and its assets during the post-production process, receiving drives from producers, working with the FRONTLINE Post team through the online and finishing and organizing delivery of final film and assets to Archives. The Post-Production Assistant will oversee and manage closed captioning for each film. They also support production across the series, learning and developing a range of production skills.
- Assist in finishing and packaging sessions. Perform minor Avid support duties during finishing sessions.
- Oversee closed captioning for films, assist with management of the weekly schedule, delivery of files and deliverables, and outreach to producers.
- Organize and archive original sources, stock footage, masters for programs and program data. Maintain computerized database of FRONTLINE masters and all materials. Work with WGBH Media Library and Archives to comply with delivery requirements.
- The ideal candidate will have a passion for post-production, documentary film-making and investigative journalism.
- A professional background demonstrating one’s ability to work well under pressure, perform quickly, accurately and independently is vital for success and happiness in this position.
- Candidates for this position must have superior organizational and communication skills and exhibit excellent follow-through. In particular, experience organizing and completing long-term archiving projects or media management projects is a significant plus.
- Familiarity with video acquisition formats and non-linear editing platforms is required.
- Computer Hardware, Software and other specialized equipment: Fluency with Avid editing systems is required. Macintosh and Windows is required. Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel and File Maker is required.
- Technical/Other specialized Skills: Familiarity with closed captioning and experience with digital archiving is preferred.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree preferred. Minimum two years experience working in production/post production environment. The candidate should have experience with the Avid editing platform as all editing work will be performed in Avid. Copy-editing experience, an obsession with perfection in spelling and grammar, or functional familiarity with closed captioning is desirable.
This is a project contract position
This is a CWA Local 1400 union position
This position is considered essential and will require on-site work in Boston.
Duties require schedule flexibility, including weekend and evening work.
WGBH is an equal opportunity employer. The community and audience we serve is diverse, and we wish to foster that diversity in our workplace. Toward that end, WGBH does not discriminate against individuals in hiring, employment or promotion on the basis of race, religion, color, sex/gender, gender identity and gender expression, age, marital status, national origin, sexual orientation, citizenship, handicap or disability, veteran or military status, political belief, pregnancy, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law.